The Amazing Healing Power of Blueberries
Most of the amazing food we all have been ignoring is the Blueberries. its health benefits that are enumerated have shown us how amazing it is. Follow along while we explain why you should consider the always getting this fruit to eat.
6 Top Health Benefits of Blueberries
- More antioxidants per serving than all other fruits, vegetables, spices and seasonings.
- Antioxidants are compounds in foods that neutralize chemicals called free radicals (unstable molecules), produced by oxidation in the human body. Antioxidants found in foods protect your cells from the effects of free radicals. Free radicals are produced when your body digests your food for energy and by environmental toxins. They can damage cells; have been linked to conditions such as heart and liver disease, cancer and a weakened immune system.
2. Great for the Brain – They Improve Memory.
Blueberry juice improves memoryin older adults. This is good news for us baby boomers!
“When it comes to brain protection, there is nothing quite like blueberries, call the blueberry the brain berry,” says Dr. James Joseph, at the USDA Human NutritionResearch Center on Aging at Tufts University.
3. Anti-Cancer Benefits.
Studies with blueberries have found that breast cancer, colon cancer, esophageal cancer, and cancers of the small intestine were reduced. These studies were on human cells or laboratory animals so we are still waiting for more research, but so far research points to astounding healing powers. Good news is there is an increasing percentage of blueberry research focusing on anti-cancer benefits.
4. Good for the Heart.
Much research has shown how good blueberries are for the heart. “Women who ate at least three servings of blueberries and strawberries per week had fewer heart attacks. Blueberries and strawberries contain high levels of compounds that have cardiovascular benefits.”
5. Reduces Risk of Diabetes. One of the antioxidants found in blueberries, anthocyanins which give them their blue color has been found to lower risk of Type 2 diabetes. People who ate two or more servings of blueberries weekly reduced their risk of developing diabetes by 23 percent in one study. Blueberries are low on the Glycemic Index, so people with diabetes can easily consume them.
6. Help with Weight Loss. Want to activate those fat burning genes? Blueberries can do that with the catechins found in them. Eating foods full of catechins will double total weight loss, according to research at Tufts University. Blueberries may even help reduce belly fat.